A little bit of knowledge for you…..
The ageing process is unfortunately unavoidable for us all. There are many factors that contribute to this process and they sit in two categories known as ‘Intrinsic ageing’ and ‘Extrinsic ageing’.
Intrinsic ageing is in the genetics, a process that will naturally occur in the body which will take place over the years.
Extrinsic ageing is where external factors contribute to the ageing process such as UV rays, pollution and smoking. Stress and diet also play a part in this process. These are all lifestyle and environmental factors.
Here is a list of the main characteristics of an ageing skin and why-
- Skin will become dry and feel alot more rough – the amounts of Hylauronic acid in the skin reduces giving us less water retention leaving the skin feeling dry.
- Skin becomes slack – the loss of elasticity and collagen in the skin which combined are what give our skin firmness and structure.
- Skin becomes thinner – The rate of cell production slows down causing the skin to become thin and the collagen production is less resulting in the skin unable to repair leaving it thin.
- Skin becomes more fragile – The blood vessel walls in the skin become weaker meaning the skin can bruise easier.
- Age spots appear on the skin & uneven skin tone – The melanocytes (pigment cells) in the skin multiply more quickly and can cluster together causing age spots.
- Skin becomes dull looking – The skin renewal process decreases so the dead skin cells build up on the skin leaving it ‘dull’ looking.
- Lines and wrinkles appear – The loss of moisture, collagen and elastin will cause lines and wrinkles.
- Dark circles/bags/puffiness around and under the eye area – Water retention, loss of fat and collagen under the eyes and lack of sleep.
- Skin lesions can appear for example skin tags, moles and Cherry Angioma (small red bumps/growths).
Now while we cant stop the natural ageing process, we can certainly help the appearance of our skins by looking at our lifestyle and choosing the correct homecare products and having regular in salon facial treatments.
Here are our top treatments that we offer for an ageing skin if that is your skin concern……
- AlumierMD Glow Peel
- Crystal Clear Frozen Elite Facial
- Dermalux Light Therapy
- SkinPen Precision Remodeling
Why not visit our Nurse Practitioner who offers a range of injectable treatments to help with the signs of ageing. Click here to find out more.